Friday, July 4, 2008

What Love is This?


A friend send me this book and told me that I needed to read it. I think that she was afraid that I was becoming a Calvinist. So I read the book and I think I may be one of the few that read it cover to cover. There must be a reward for those who endure to the end.
I found very little love in this book but a great deal of anger. I am going to write a longer book review but let me say this about David Hunt's book. It is not a book I would recommend to anyone. It will not convince a Calvinist that he is wrong. Those that already distrust Calvinism will only be angered by this book. Those that do not know about Calvinism will certainly be confused and maybe even question theology. This book is of no help to anyone who reads it.
Before I began to read this book two relatives who are not Calvinist's told me not to read that book. In fact one who is very charismatic told me that they recommended to their people not to read it.
If you are thinking of reading it, don't. I know that there are many things about which he writes that are a problem but his approach is questionable at best. I am dismayed that we think we must have labels. Doctrine is important but we must know that some doctrines are held in tension in the Bible. If they weren't then we would not have to live by faith.

1 comment:

MandieCurtis said...

It's my understanding that the publisher no longer has this book in print for many of the reasons you said in your brief review. Instead they released a book a few years ago in its place called "Debating Calvinism" by Dave Hunt and James White. Definitely a much better book and one that I would recommend to anyone interested in a fair(er) debate on the issue.