Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why I read fiction


I like to read fiction and most of what I read would not be classified as Christian fiction. I don't get to spend a lot of time with non-Christians so I don't know how they think or what they think but I can get that from some of the fiction I read. I recently read John Grisham's novel The Appeal. What I liked about that book was that it presented two different views by two different families from two different evangelical churches. Sometimes we think that all evangelicals think like we do but that is not the case. The other thing I liked about the book was how it showed that well meaning, devout Christians can be manipulated by the world without them knowing that it is happening to them.
I also like to read Chiam Potok and my favourte novel by him is The Chosen. That book helped me understand the Jewish culture and their way of life.
My favourite Christian novel is Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. I volunteer at a Bibles For Missions store that sends money for Bibles in China. I think all our volunteers should read Safely Home.

No comments: