Thursday, June 4, 2009

Losing our way


I went to University in Waterloo. When I arrived at Waterloo I drove in at night and some how I got turned around. For the next four years I could not determine which direction is north.
I did an interesting experiment in my class one time. I had my students close their eyes, put their heads on their desk and then point north. When they opened their eyes they were surprised to see the directions that people were pointing including themselves.
The Psalmist said, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8
I heard a discussion with a Christian radio talk show host and his guest. They were discussing guidance and the guest said that it was important to do something while the host insisted that we need to seek God for guidance. The host sounded good but there was not substance. The Psalmist reminds us that instruction comes from knowing the Word of God. Many people who are seeking to know God's will by signs and wonders, fleeces and such, have not spent time in the Word. Ezekiel reminds us that the Word of the Lord came to him. How did it come to him? I don't know but it comes to us through the Bible. We cannot expect to have guidance unless we have instruction and that instruction comes from the Word of God.