Sunday, May 18, 2014

1967

The 1960's were a troubled decade.  There was wars, protests, hippies, Jesus movement, man on the moon, and so much more.  I can of age in the 1960's.  I turned 16, graduated from high school, went to university, graduated university and began my teaching career.
In 1967 I was in university and a retired school teacher paid my way to go to the Urbana missionary conference in Urbana, Illinois.  For four days we listened to speakers who talked to us about missions.  I remember some of them but most I have forgotten.  One speaker I do remember was John Stott.  Every morning we would gather, all 12000 of us, in the auditorium and listen as Dr. Stott taught us from 2 Timothy.  We were taught to guard the Gospel.  I have never forgotten that teaching and finally this year I decided to go back and read those lectures again and pass it on to my class.

No comments: