Sunday, March 30, 2014

Theological Education in Guinea

While I was in Guinea I had the privilege of visiting a Bible College that was once run by my denomination.  However, over the past few years they have backed away from education in Guinea to concentrate on other ministries.  This has left a gap that others quickly jumped in to fill.  What I saw saddened my heart.
I saw a school that was desperately in need of supplies, books, and more but meanwhile there is building going on to house visiting professors.  Because this other group is funding the building they felt that they had the right to dictate what would be taught at the school.
What I saw was a need to support the nationals in the education of their own people.  We can and should watch what is being taught but we should not dictate the curriculum as if we know best.  We should help them develop curriculum that is needed for West Africa and help them guard against heresy.  I hate to compare countries but the programs that I saw when I visited Ecuador and Uganda made me think about the importance of educating the nationals to do the ministry.  The real strength comes when nationals train nationals.  The people of Ecuador are training church planters for all of South America.  The people of Uganda are training young men and women to be men and women of God.


No comments: