Sunday, August 4, 2013

Just messy

We celebrated communion this morning and I got to thinking about how we have sanitized so much of Christianity.  Now I am not saying it is wrong but as I listened to Pastor Gord preach about the church in the book of Acts then communion I thought about what that first communion would have been like.  We are so careful about sanitation I think we sometimes miss what it means to be a family.  Most families are not that careful.  We sometimes drink from an other's glass or eat something from their plate.  I think that is what families do.  That first communion I am sure that they drank from a common cup and ripped pieces of bread from a common loaf.  I am sure that some got bigger portions than others and some spilled the wine on the table cloth. I am sure that it was a little messy but a whole lot of meaning.  Much of that meaning didn't come until later.
Think about the event that the Lord's supper replaced.  The Passover.  Talk about messy.  It was more than messy, it was noisy, smelly and I am sure not all that clean.  Now we don't need to go back to all of that but we do need to think about being a family and having a family meal with our older Brother.  Just thinking.

No comments: